The Linux Ultra Sound Project
Official home page
It's time to move this project from experimental stage to stable. Look to
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture for more details.
This project is based on Jaroslav Kysela's new low-level driver for the
Gravis UltraSound cards. The project is developed in Linux operating system
(u*ix clone for i386/AXP/Sparc/...). Most of bellow features is implemented
only in new 2.99 devel packages.
Two demos of MIDI music produced by driver and Gravis UltraSound Plug & Play
card which use 4MB FILE from AMD with GM & GS instrument set in .WAV format
you can found here.
Currently supported Gravis UltraSound cards:
- Gravis UltraSound
- Gravis UltraSound 16-bit Daughter Board
- Gravis UltraSound ACE
- Gravis UltraSound MAX
- Gravis UltraSound Extreme
- Gravis UltraSound Plug & Play
- Dynasonic 3-D
- ... and all other InterWave (tm) based cards ...
Currently supported systems:
- i386, i486, Pentium, Pentium Pro
Driver have some unique features:
- support up to 8 Gravis UltraSound cards
- native GF1 interface
- GFA1 support (InterWave - GUS PnP)
- effect processing
- serial transfer support
- direct control of GF1 registers
- automatic volume envelope (ultraclick elimination)
- automatic pan envelope (ultraclick elimination)
- voice commands (for MODs etc...)
- channels commands (MIDI v1.0 based - complete emulation)
- support for three instrument formats for both GF1 and InterWave chips
- GF1 patch
- InterWave FFFF (.fff/.ff8 and ROM)
- echo queue
- emulator of VoxWare 3.XX sequencer
- support for more GUS cards
- complete MIDI emulation for GF1 and InterWave chips
- support for both level 1 (/dev/sequencer) and level 2 (/dev/music) interfaces
- PCM (/dev/dsp) compatible with VoxWare 3.XX
- full GF1 chip support
- full CODEC chip support (InterWave, GUS MAX & DB-16)
- full duplex record/playback support (not for DB-16)
- MIXER (/dev/mixer) compatible with VoxWare 3.XX with some extensions
- full ICS chip support
- full CODEC chip support
- full InterWave chip support
- mute feature
- Instrument daemon interface
- For MIDI instrument loading..
LIBGUS API library:
- Available for ELF executable format only...
- Easy to use...
- Supports final Ultra Utopia Sound bank...
- GF1 synth routines
- MIXER routines
- PCM routines
- MIDI routines
Files gmfull1m.ff8, gmfull1m.da8, gsfull4m.fff & gsfull4m.dat is licenced by
EYE & I Productions. Public distribution of these files isn't allowed!!! If
you have one from first Gravis UltraSound Plug & Play cards without
gsfull4m.XXX files on included CD-ROM, you can contact Advanced Gravis
Technologies for new CD-ROM which contains this soundset...
- some features for instrument (set) caching/loading/unloading
- instrument/ultra manager
Where can you get the distribution package?
Latest ultra-revision.tgz package you can find at official
ultra ftp site:
Complete mirrors of ultra ftp site:
Czech republic - Ceske Budejovice (Perex's home)
Czech republic - VSE - Prague
USA - Sunsite
- Debian distribution at AeroSpace
|GUSMIX ||ncurses mixer
|ULTRAPLAY/REC ||program for playing/recording .WAV, .VOC files
|XGUSMIX ||X-Window mixer (Tcl/Tk)
|MUSSERVER ||MUSSERVER for Linux DOOM
|ULTRAMOD ||UltraMOD (based on MikMak routines)
??? Have you ideas and time for new project ???
---> Send e-mail to Jaroslav Kysela
Final design by Perex.
Last update: 16.2.1998